17 August 2005

messy mind

my mind is a mess. there's so many things going on insode of it right now, that it would take me several posts to try to organize my mind. so i'll just hit a few things.

i had an interview with the Texins Activity Center yesterday. it's located on the main Texas Instruments campus at 635 and 75. the interview went well and the guy offered me a job. well, he didn't exaclt offer me a job, but he handed me all the paperwork that i would need to take home and fill out and bring back. i don't know if it went well because he thought i was qualified, or if they are just so desperate for lifeguards and swim instructors that he was going to take on anyone who showed him their certification cards.

so i took the paper work and he showed me around the pool and explained how things would run. i never exactly agreed to take the job, meaning i never said "Yes, I will most definitely become an employee of the Activity Center". but i did take all the paperwork home. i have yet to return it.

for some reason i just didn't have a good feeling about it. i can't explain why exactly, but there are a few things that really bothered me. for one, there would be no other lifegurds with me on any of my guarding shifts. what happens if some person being stupid dives into the shallow end and i have to backboard him? you can't backboard someone with just one person. there are also no lifeguards on duty when swim lessons or water aerobics are going on. it's just the responsibility of the instructors to pay attention to every single person in the water.

there was another things that really did not sit well with me. while i was down in the pool area, there was this man who liked to sit on the bottom of the deep end with a small dumbell in his lap. like a little 5-10 pounder. first of all, that is totally not safe. second, he's been told it's not a safe thing to do, and thirdly, this was while a class was going on - with no lifeguard on duty. the guy i interviewed with said that because people pay a membership fee, they can do whatever they want. whether that was his decision or a decision from higher up, it bothered me the rest of the day.

i'm going to call the guy tomorrow and tell him that i don't think i should take the job. i prayed about it and have just not had a good feeling about it since i left the interview. i don't want to put myself in a work environment where my skills as a lifeguard could be jeopardized because of poor structure of a program. i don't want to be sued for going in after someone and he or she not surviving becuse i didn't have proper backup as a lifeguard. and i'm really okay with not taking it. the haven't photocopied anything(like my certifications, driver's license, or ss card), or started to process any paperwork. sure it would be nice to have an extra job, but when my reputation could be at stake, that's not exactly something i want to sign up for.

well, that's part of the messy mind. but it's okay that my mind is messy; i'm used to my room being that way.

No comments: